: +27 615 780 000
Study in south africa

Essential Things You Need to Know Before Applying for a Visa study Permit

With South Africa's diverse range of tertiary education institutes and schooling, it is no wonder that many people from overseas who move to RSA, either as families or individuals, will get the top level education. There are so many educations in South Africa to choose from. However, students who desire to study in South Africa must apply for a visa study permit before immigrating in the country. You will not be authorized to register with a college, school or any university without a valid Student visa.

Who is a Study permit for?

Any student who wants to pursue study in South Africa, at any school college or university in the country, can qualify for a study permit in South Africa.

There are primarily two options for this study permit type for foreign students.

The first one would be for family members move to South Africa with kids ( 6-16 yrs) as from the age of 6-16 are obliged by law to attend school this needs a study permit. If the child is above 16 years to attend pre-school etc, the department made the provision to issue a study permit for the children. The maximum duration of this visa is 3 years.

Working on a study visa:

The South Africa study permit holder is licensed to work in South Africa, however only for a span of 20 hours/week as well as only if the student studying to tertiary level. If the applicant desires to work in the country than he/she must appeal for a work visa.

South African student visa requirements:

As a student, First and the foremost thing is to get registered in a South African school college and university and get the approval letter on the institution duly signed by the principal.

Fill the temporary residence and bring it with you to the nearest South African Embassy.

Documents required for South African study visa:

  • Valid passport with a minimum of two blank pages
  • Application form fee
  • Two passport-sized photographs
  • Invitation letter from the South African institutions verifying the duration of your education, as well as confirmation that it will inform the authorities if you were unable to register, you are expelled or when the course is extended or completed.
  • Proof of finances should exhibit that you are able to meet living and tuition fees expenses during your stay in South Africa. Finance proof could be your passbook, bank statement.
  • Radiological and Medical reports
  • Hotel proof to show where you are staying in South Africa.
  • Criminal record certificate
  • Birth certificate of the student
  • Relevant certificate if widowed, divorced or married.


South African study permit for students under 18

If you are below 18 yrs when you appeal for the study via, you do not require PCC ( police clearance certificate). Students below 12 years are free from providing radiological reports.

Process of visa application form differs from country to country, however, it takes a maximum of 6 weeks.

Students below 18 years will usually need to provide these documents:

  • A birth certificate or an adoption certificate
  • Written permission from parents or from a guardian only if your parents are expired.
  • Address proof and contact number of a guardian in South Africa

A study visa South Africa is issued for the span of your education at a specific South African college or university, with a span of 8 years for primary school, 6 years for secondary education and other qualification.

A study visa permit enables the student to study in South Africa, however, in as you desire to change a school or college, you will ask to start a new procedure of applying for a study visa application.

If you want to apply for the renewal of visa, you can do so as frequently as necessary. For this, you have to forward your renewal application Prior to 30 days before the expiry of your Study visa. If it expires, then

Family of students migrating to South Africa

If you believe that while studying in South Africa, you can bring your family members to the country on your permit then you’re wrong. Only Your partner or dependent children can accompany you while you study abroad, for this they need to apply for a spouse or child visa, which valid for around 3 years.

Read More articles related to Study in south africa

Study Permit | South Africa

Study Permit | South Africa

Study Permit | South Africa Critical Skills Visa | Else Visa South Africa is a popular destinatio..

View 21

You might be interested in these similar informations



Else Visa Ask – Largest African Travel Community ..

China tourist visa

China tourist visa

Else Visa Experts - Provide you to information about china tourist visa ,our team able to solve y..

Bulgaria visa requirements south africa

Bulgaria visa requirements south africa

The Free Visa Eligibility Assessments from Else visa Immigration Experts let you know if you meet t..

Cyprus Investment Program

Cyprus Investment Program

Cyprus Investment Program | South Africa Critical Skills Visa | Else Visa If you find the informa..

Bulgarian Investment Program

Bulgarian Investment Program

Bulgarian Investment Program   Bulgarian Investment Program | South Africa Critical Skills Vis..